Monday, January 31, 2022

Zouaves! Collis's, to be specific...

While work on the modern era layout continues, so does work on the Civil War layout, even if that work doesn't involve having an actual layout to work on. I've thrown myself back into painting figures. There were about 15 U.S. infantry that were 90 percent completed, but I had just stopped. So I finished those and started a new batch of privates. Never enough privates. But... in my last GHQ order I had gotten a pack of Zouaves that closely resembled the uniforms of the 114th Pennsylvania, "Collis's Zouaves." Four of them made it into this round. 



It's intimidating to start these. I've done something like 100 or more standard U.S. soldiers, but nothing as specific as these Zouaves. The only sacrifice at this size is some of the piping in the jackets. But I was able to get the tombeaux portrayed on the breast. Tough to see, but you'd notice if it weren't there. 

The 114th Pennsylvania was raised as a company, "Zouaves d' Afrique" by Charles H. T. Collis in 1861 and served attached to other regiments until late 1862, when nine more companies were raised to complete a full regiment. That regiment spent most of the war in the Third Corps, but often companies were detached to serve at headquarters. 

I'm not exactly sure how I'll use them on the layout. All the Zouave figures sold by GHQ are in the "advancing" pose like the ones above, not at right-shoulder shift. So whatever they end up doing will have to be a little more active than just standing outside headquarters at shoulder arms or marching to another duty. 

After another round of figures painted, I think I'll do a morning roll call and set them all up to see everyone at once. 

Don't forget you can follow me on Reddit

No comments:

Post a Comment