Monday, March 18, 2019

Gondola car, barrels, and a water tower

Most of the time, I feel like I'm not doing enough on the layout because I can't do major things like replacing the track or going to DCC. But then I realize this is all what modeling is about: the little things. So I did two little things this weekend. Took about an hour and a half over two days.

Water tower


It's shocking how little there is available in the way of Civil War era structures. All the Micro-Trains buildings and accessories were sold out long ago during their short run. So scratch building is sometimes all I can do. What's more shocking is that my steam trains layout did not have a water tower! I gathered up all the leftover wood from the buildings and cobbled together something resembling the water tower in the widely-seen photo of the Gen. J. C. Robinson in front of the structure. You can see the original below.

https://www.loc.gov/item/2018666647/

Gondola car


Variety was lacking with the freight cars. And I don't have a ton of interesting loads to use with the flat cars. There are only so many times I can use the water tanks loads before it looks bad. I ordered a set of 48 wood barrels. They're painted plastic, but look really good. The problem is that they're really light. The slightest jolt will send them toppling over. I don't want to glue them down, at least not yet. The only solution was to build sides for a flat car, making a gondola car. I recall seeing a photo of it from the war, but I can't find it now. If I do, I'll add it to this post.

Like the water tower, I used leftover wood from the kits. I have to say, it turned out really well. The spacing of the posts could be better, but for the first attempt it'll do just fine. Here are the two newest additions to the layout, along with the depot I finally painted.

Could've been worse. I'll keep practicing.

Finally looks like something other than a laser cut wood kit.

No comments:

Post a Comment