Friday, July 19, 2019

GHQ vs Good Ground miniatures

Seeing the Sibley tents and wood piles just sitting there, lifeless, I just had to bite the bullet and order some figures for the layout. After a few days of research, I narrowed it down to GHQ and Cracker Line / Good Ground Minis. They both had sets I wanted, and figured I'd get a sense of how their sizes compared to the trains.
GHQ on the left, Good Ground on the right.
You can see there's a pretty noticeable difference in size, but not exactly consistent. The GHQ soldiers on the left are smaller, more slender, and the mule looks more like the size of a horse. The Good Ground soldiers are a bit bigger, stockier, and the horse looks like the size of a mule. Overall, both brands look very good and detailed. But I think the Good Ground minis are a little too big for Civil War era N scale trains.

I was planning on using the Good Ground minis for the camp scenes and warehouse/stock work around the depots. Two of the sets are a camp scene called Slovenly Yanks and a General staff scene called Richmond is a Hard Road to Travel. GHQ did not offer anything likes these, and I instantly fell in love with how much more character this kind of imagery would add to the layout. But it does appear that due to the size of the Good Ground minis that I'll have to keep them restricted to camp life, and not right next to or on any rolling stock. The other two sets were a mounted command and two supply wagons.

The GHQ minis included a company of 24 soldiers marching, a squadron of walking mounted cavalry, and two supply wagons.

I'll get a better sense of how they look once they're painted. Right now the Slovenly Yanks group is primed and dry-brushed with some white. This weekend I'll take a crack at final paint. And after all this, some artillery, limbers, etc. will be in order. I'd particularly love to see how field pieces would look on the flat cars.

No comments:

Post a Comment