Friday, July 12, 2019

Weekend trip to Washington D.C.

Back in June, my wife attended the ALA conference in Washington, D.C. I figured it would be nice to get away for a weekend, so I tagged along. Plus, I love a good train ride. Much of my exploring was done solo since she was busy with events much of the time. But we did manage to go to the National Portrait Gallery together one evening before dinner. I highly recommend going. The presidential portraits were as good as expected, along with the thousands of other works in the American art collections.
"Grant and His Generals" Painted 1865 by Ole Peter Hansen Balling
Union Station
We stayed right downtown, which was great, but there were no breakfast places open before 9 a.m. except for Starbucks. All I wanted was an egg, ham and cheese sandwich and a cup of coffee around 8 a.m. But then I remembered it was a summer Saturday in D.C. It's like a ghost town until brunch.

Anyway, here are a few photos I finally took off the phone. I'd say my favorite single work of art was the somewhat small sculpture "Wounded to the Rear / One More Shot". It's the last photo below.

Ford's Theater

Major General James B. McPherson, by Louis Rebisso, 1876

Abraham Lincoln Life Masks by Clark Mills, 1865

"Wounded to the Rear / One More Shot", 1864 by John Rogers; cast 1865



No comments:

Post a Comment