Monday, April 8, 2019

Adding decals to the boxcars

I started writing this post over a week ago, when I was already a week into applying Microscale decals to a few of the boxcars. Going into it, my biggest fear was destroying the decals in the process. I haven't applied a decal on anything since my last model car in, oh, about 20 years. As I started, it soon became evident my eyesight isn't what it was way back when. Not only were the decals small and on light-colored backing paper, but the numbers are spaced so close together on the sheet that you need to be almost perfect on every cut with the blade.

LOTS of MicroSol is needed when dealing with the surfaces on these cars.
After a few rounds, I got more comfortable and figured out a few techniques that worked best for me. I liked using toothpicks to adjust the positioning, since they're not sharpened to a point like the razor, but small enough to control just a corner of the decal at a time. Other tools were Q-tips, small paint brushes, and a lot of patience.

You'll notice some of the decals were damaged either as I was preparing them, or once they were on the model. Since the surface of these boxcars are not smooth gloss, I used MicroSol. That required extra care and speed to apply the decal without manipulating it too much. They started to get very soft the moment the MicroSol hit the decal and would tear easily.

Those numbers are even closer in person than they look here.
A frustrating issue for me followed a suggestion from the Microscale instructions. It said if you can't see the white decals well enough to cut them cleanly, you can color the back side of the paper with a dark ink marker. So I did that and the decals showed up great on the backing paper. However... something must have happened when the ink soaked through the paper, because it was MUCH more difficult to get the decals off the paper after soaking them in water. The ones without the ink slid off with little effort. Just a heads up to those out there considering using these decals. They work great, but practice, and expect to lose a few along the way.

I'll have a follow-up post in a few days.

Passenger Coaches Fiasco


After realizing the passenger car decals were only in black, I had to rethink the paint scheme for the coaches I'm trying to make from the old Bachmanns. First, I used too-strong of a paint remover. The plastic was damaged and now looks rough. I still have another three coach bodies to use, but it's still frustrating. Stay tuned for more.

A Few Parting Shots for Today


I don't post enough photos that are just for fun. I'll start doing that more.

From above. Yes, the track is still the worst part of all this. It's also the biggest
single expense to replace. Those two things are related.
The paint can is holding down the track on the bridge that needed re-gluing.
Evening freight train rolls into the depot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment