Thursday, April 11, 2019

Weathering the freight cars and more photos

Once the decals were done and the Dullcote applied, the freight cars looked fantastic. But they still looked like the toys they are. I figured weathering was in order. As with almost everything I do here, I didn't use a standard weathering technique. In fact, I don't really think I'd even call what I did a "technique," but more of a "whatever makes the cars look dirty." So I whipped up some dirty-looking paint and chose a frayed brush. Using very little, thinned paint and wiping the brush so there was only a light coating on the bristles, I went to town. You can see some of the results below, along with some of the unweathered cars I still have to do.








The last one was something I decided to do last minute. Using two conductor's cars, I converted them into boxcars. The side ladders were shaved off (not the cleanest work, but it is what it is) and the window frames and glass knocked out. The paint is just Testors tan. I'm going to use black lettering, since I haven't used any so far. 

Flatcar Decks


And what's that you ask, "hey, are those flatcar decks weathered to look like wood?" Yes, yes they are! One of the most noticeably toy-like features of all the freight cars was the flatcar decks painted the same color as the rest of it. That had to go. So I looked up what colors to use, and to my surprise it was a white base with black over it. I think they turned out well, but could use a little more black. 



Humans!


Finally, you'll notice the soldiers. A few weeks ago I remembered I had them from a looong time ago, back when I was reenacting. It reminded me of how much time I used to have as a kid. Anyway, it turns out they're just a bit too big (15mm?) for N scale. Such a shame, because I have about a dozen or so of them painted and would've looked good on the layout. It's a huge difference to see people, not just trains. I have some track workers on order and should be here this week. 

Some Photos


I think I like the second one better. 



No comments:

Post a Comment